Author Topic: Ariel Atom Mugen  (Read 22985 times)

Offline Gage

• Electron
  • USA, Memphis, TN
    • exocars.net
Re: Ariel Atom Mugen
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 02:53:51 PM GMT »
The colour scheme you either like or dont - but you could spec it like that anyway. ?

I don't like the color scheme at all, but the hardware is sweet!   
Former Owner Atom #44, First Blue Atom sold by Brammo - from February 18 2006      through June 30th 2007.  Sold.  There is another.

Offline pete300

• Centurian
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 08:06:32 PM GMT »
I was at the factory yesterday paying for my car which i will collect in march (finally) lol, and got to see the 1st mugen being built, my 1st impressions when i saw the mock drawing was the red frame was horrible, but seeing it in the flesh the red is different than the drawing its more of a burgandy red, also prices are gonna be around £50.000 with v.a.t but i dont think i would have one, but im sure theres 10 people out there that will.

Offline benyeats

• Global Moderator
  • Deeply Saddo
  • Cambridge - Equidistant between London and Norwich
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:39 PM GMT »
I was at the factory yesterday paying for my car which i will collect in march (finally) lol, and got to see the 1st mugen being built, my 1st impressions when i saw the mock drawing was the red frame was horrible, but seeing it in the flesh the red is different than the drawing its more of a burgandy red, also prices are gonna be around £50.000 with v.a.t but i dont think i would have one, but im sure theres 10 people out there that will.

If they are building it now does it mean you can jump the waiting list by buying one of the Mugen or as is more likely is it one for the magazines etc ?
Atom 2 245 (Lemmie 2)

Offline pete300

• Centurian
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:55 PM GMT »
I believe its there own car, then the 10 will be made bit like the what they done with the v8 but all 10 are available so give them a bell if your interested.

Offline wattie

• Atom
  • Busted!
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 07:17:41 AM GMT »
Around 50K........so thats 8-10kish over a decent specced 300???

Interesting decision to make.........if you're in the market for an Atom.

Cheers Wattie
Atom 3 245, Alfa Romeo GT, Maserati Granturismo S, several pairs of shoes and a mountain bike.

Offline Hedge

• Atom
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2010, 08:03:10 AM GMT »
When I was told the price last week I couldn't really fathom it. It is a techincal marvel (getting such an output from a normally aspirated car, of course it is) but as I said earlier in this thread it's just 25bhp more than a standard car at the end of the day. I'm sure the engine's more elastic/ urgent etc etc but how much would you notice it in the real world at the end of the day?

The cost of the Mugen engine is prohibitive in the first place. I don't know what add-ons this model has over a standard one but it does need a few to justify the price tag I think. The engine alone isn't enough for me, it needs more. The paint job is nothing special or unique either.

Cheers,
Hedge
Renault Avantime V6 :: Porsche 968 Club Sport :: 1954 Citroen 2CV

Offline wasp

• Neutron
  • Zumerzet
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:02 AM GMT »
I wonder how much of a difference the suspension from the V8 will make, it might be the biggest difference of all.

It would certainly give an indication of whether it would be wort speccing it on the 'standard' car when it becomes available.

Red chasis though :H:

Cheers,

Stu

Offline Alec

• Club Member
  • Deeply Saddo
  • World Heritage City, Liverpool, UK
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 04:14:27 PM GMT »
Red chasis though :H:

Cheers,

Stu

I first thought that about Randy's "AtomFest" special back in 2007, but when I saw it in the flash, so to speak, it looked great, and still does.

In fact, I was deciding whether to buy it from Randy before "AtomFest II", but I left it too late and he sold his other one to someone else instead.

I did get to drive it quite a bit at "AtomFest II", however, so I know what I missed out on.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:01 PM GMT »
ARIEL ATOM MUGEN

First photos and specification of the new Ariel Atom Mugen are released today with the car being
unveiled at the British Autosport Show 2011.  

History
A collaboration between Ariel and Mugen, the latest version of the original ‘no screen, no roof, no
doors’ Atom celebrates 10 years of production and 1000 Atoms manufactured.  Made in a Limited
Edition of just 10 cars for each of the 10 years, each signed and numbered, the Atom Mugen has a
special livery of red chassis, white bodywork and red graphics showing the number of the car to
reflect the unique union of Ariel, Mugen and Honda.  Featuring a tuned Mugen Honda engine and a
high level specification, plus the opportunity to further option the car, this latest Atom gives further
choice to the driver looking for the ultimate, normally aspirated trackday car.      

Mugen (meaning unlimited in Japanese) engines have famously powered hundreds of race and
championship winners, including Formula 1, since 1973 when Hirotoshi Honda, son of Soichiro
Honda, founded the company.  Basing their work almost exclusively around Honda powerplants,
Mugen was an obvious partner for Ariel who have used the Honda Type R engine in the Atom for
over 7 years.   Working closely together on the project Ariel and Mugen found many similarities in
their approach to the project, resulting in a hand built engine in a truly handbuilt car.    

Engine
Heart of the Atom Mugen is the Honda K20Z Type R engine, which is tuned by Mugen to produce
270bhp at 8600rpm in normally aspirated form.   Each Atom Mugen engine is stripped, measured and
fully blueprinted at Mugen Europe’s Northampton headquarters.  The engines are reassembled with
high performance, higher compression pistons, high lift camshafts and new valve springs. A longer
freeflow inlet manifold is fitted with a bigger diameter throttle body together with race grade spark
plugs.  The engine also features a full baffled sump and is finished with a carbon fibre Mugen cover.  
After assembly each engine is tested on the Mugen dynamometer and carefully run in prior to full
power test.  After 7 days of work on every engine they are bore scoped and inspected prior to sign
off.  A lightened balanced flywheel is fitted together with a limited slip differential to the close ratio
Honda 6 speed gearbox prior to installation in the Atom.

Specification
Specification of the car includes many Ariel options as standard as well as additional parts unique to
the Atom Mugen.  High performance Alcon 4 pot lightweight callipers, finished in red, and ventilated
discs are fitted front and rear.  The 4 way adjustable damper/spring package is a modified version of
that found on the Atom V8 with remote reservoir lightweight aluminium dampers which have two
compression adjustments and one rebound adjustment with 2 piece dual rate springs fitted with rate
adjusters.  This coupled with the standard adjustable Atom wishbones, gives the owner very high
adjustability for track or road.  Each Atom can therefore be set up exactly for each owner and their
use with the ability to carry out further adjustment to suit particular driving preferences or styles.  
Yokohama AO48 trackday tyres are standard specification, fitted to lightweight, white Ariel
magnesium wheels.  

In front of the driver is a new LCD flat screen display housed in a carbon fibre instrument panel.  The
multi function display is programmable with the ability for the driver to scroll through displays via
menu buttons and also shows 3 colour gearshift lights and standard warning lights.  A master alert
warns if any function goes outside programmed perameters for quick and easy reference on track.  
Additional data information, such as lap times and logging, can be viewed through the display to bring
another element to the serious track day driver.  3” FIA full harnesses with crutch straps are fitted for
both driver and passenger as standard with options of further competition parts for racing.

Performance
Performance of the Atom Mugen gives 0-60mph (100kph) in 2.9 seconds and a top speed of
150mph, with torque increased to 255Nm @ 6,000 rpm.  

Every engine is built by one Mugen technician and every Atom is built by Ariel technician, with both
signing off the engine and car only when they are satisfied, reflected in a numbered build plate on
each car.  The particular and special skills available in producing racing and low volume cars are
demonstrated in the Atom Mugen in a way that wouldn’t be possible to large volume manufacturers.  
Said Simon Saunders of Ariel, “The advantages of being small are obvious in this latest Atom.  It’s a
handbuilt car, tailored to suit individual customers who we know and like as friends and who are
passionate about their cars and driving.  The ability for Mugen to handbuild a performance engine,
coupled with the legendary Honda reliability, takes this one stage further.”  

The formula of Ariel + Honda + Mugen has resulted in a very special car that takes the trackday car
to another level.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:55:11 PM GMT by Richard Marler »
Atom 3 300. Surrey, England.

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:45 PM GMT »

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:10 PM GMT »

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2011, 01:56:35 PM GMT »

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:15 PM GMT »
Some more ...

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2011, 02:04:19 PM GMT »
Final set ...

Offline Richard Marler

• Administrator
  • Proton
  • Surrey, England
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2011, 02:06:46 PM GMT »
Specification

Limited Edition of 10 cars featuring the following specification on top of standard Ariel Atom 3
Mugen Honda K20 i-VTEC Engine
Engine stripped and blueprinted
Combustion chambers equalised
High compression FIA pistons
High lift FIA camshaft, pulley and valve springs
FIA Intake manifold and 64mm throttle body
Baffled sump
Balanced flywheel
Uprated oil pump
NGK racing spark plugs
Run in and full power test on Mugen dynamometer
Bore scope and inspection prior to sign off