Author Topic: Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011  (Read 9461 times)

Offline Mark Swain

• Club Member
Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:04:56 PM GMT »
Dear Ariel AAOC North American Forum Members,

We wanted to give you the heads-up on 2 very exciting things that will be happening in 2011 with the Ariel Atom and TMI.  We will be releasing a more official announcement prior to Christmas that will have some more specific information….but in the meantime….Please read on for information that has not yet hit the press!

1)The re-launching of the Ariel Atom Experience (AAE) driving events for 2011.  These previously very popular events were placed on hiatus by TMI during the past 2 years of the recession.  The new, re-formatted 2011 AAE will be run in conjunction with and exclusively at Virginia International Raceway.  There will be a min. of 8 X half-day AAE events run on weekends from March through October, using newly-built & spec’d Ariel Atom 3 cars.  The rate will be $495./person/event, all inclusive.  We’re excited to be able to bring this type of Ariel Atom exposure & driving  experience back to the general public as well as to corp. & other groups!  TMI will own, manage & operate these AAE events.  VIR is our valued promotional & operational partner in the AAE.  We soon hope to be making further announcements regarding other business partners in the AAE.  Watch for further details on our website (www.arielatom.com).

“VIRginia International Raceway is absolutely thrilled to host the Ariel Atom Experience  beginning in 2011.” Stated VIR Managing Partner Connie Nyholm.  “The new format and price point are sure to be winners with Atom fans and anyone seeking a driving adventure experience.  Of course, all drivers and their guests are welcome to stay over at VIR Resort's Lodge, have dinner at Oak Tree Tavern, go karting, to the Spa, or just watch the racing action all around them.”

2) The (world’s first) establishment of an Ariel Atom racing series for 2011, to be named ‘Spec Racer Atom’ (SRA).  Specifically designed & formatted to offer incredible overall cost value to its participants, a series of 10 races will be held over 5 weekends during 2011, exclusively at VIR.  Each race day will provide for 4 X 25 min. sessions of practice & qualifying prior to a 20 minute SRA race, with a variety of 4 unique & challenging VIR track configurations being used over the race season.  The SRA cars are being uniquely built & spec’d for use in the series with initial car deliveries expected in April ’11, well in advance of the 1st scheduled SRA race in June.  Existing competition licenses are not required for SRA participation however each competitor must meet VIR/TMI driving experience & designated capabilities in advance.

The formation, organization & operation of this series will enable us here at TMI to put our collective extensive history of involvement & experience in motorsports to full use.  Max. affordability & enjoyment will be our continuous objectives for all SRA series participants.

An amazingly attractive purchase package will be offered to the first 10 SRA ‘Founding Members’ (to be announced).  TMI will provide series paddock facilities and offer optional trackside tech. support packages to competitors, etc.  Of course we’re also uniquely able to provide the many advantages of direct ‘trackside’ factory access to all SRA competitors!  We are currently accepting deposits for the Spec Racer Atoms. 

The SRA series will be administered by TMI AutoTech, co-operated by TMI & VIR and sanctioned by VIR within its VIR Club operations.  Provisions are also being considered to potentially enable suitably equipped non-SRA Ariel Atoms to compete in the series (non-points only).  We soon hope to be able to make further announcements regarding other business partners in the SRA.  Watch our website for further details (www.arielatom.com). 

“Hosting the Spec Racer Atom series is a tremendously exciting opportunity for VIR Club and its Members.” Enthused Connie Nyholm; Managing Partner of Virginia International raceway.   “I am amazed at how affordable it will be and I know everyone will enjoy competing on four different track configurations at VIR throughout the year.   When I was racing in vintage series, I always raced two cars to make the most of my time driving.  I imagine many of our high speed and touring class Members will be racing Spec Racer Atom next year too.“

Best regards – and warm wishes for a Happy Holiday season from the entire TMI AutoTech Team!

If you have any questions about the latest developments from TMI just give us a call! We would be happy to discuss any questions you have. 

Offline Wmcmanus

• Proton
  • Cayman Islands (and big rig wandering)
Re: Spec Racer Atom and AAE in 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:09:03 PM GMT »
These are two really wonderful developments!  Spec Racing Atom sounds like it would be an absolute blast!
"Texas was flat and smelled of cow shit." -- bolus   Grand Cayman weather: http://www.brucesbythesea.com/wx.htm

Offline benyeats

• Global Moderator
  • Deeply Saddo
  • Cambridge - Equidistant between London and Norwich
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:47:26 PM GMT »
Great stuff, I hope to make it to one of the races next year!

Ben
Atom 2 245 (Lemmie 2)

Offline Curator

• Atom
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:12 PM GMT »
Woohoo!  ;D   I do hope TMI specs some serious tires for the "spec" Atoms..and not skinny street rubber. It would be a shame to hobble the Atom  >:D   Looking foreward to future anouncements!

Offline vijen6

• Centurian
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 11:43:40 PM GMT »
Very very glad to hear that the AAE is back.    I guess I'm going to have to start saving up more vacation dates from work !!

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Offline payne

• Quarter Grand
  • Bay Area CA, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 01:09:37 AM GMT »
Mark-

What is the spec of the car?  Do you anticipate doing any west coast events?  I might be interested in making my order spec compliant if so.

Thanks,
Jason
2011 Ariel Atom 3 (under construction) - K24 powered project
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged - DD, Wheeling, Snow, and Tow

Offline CalScot

• Club Member
  • Atom
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:45:06 AM GMT »
Any plan to offer an "Arrive & Drive" option?

If you can run 3 sessions on the new AAE for under $500 for half a day, I'll take a morning and afternoon AAE deal, combine the two for $1000 and I'll race the Atom as one of the sessions  ;D

I'll sign up for all 10 races at that price and pay you the full $$ up front for all 10 races, right now :)

Offline Wmcmanus

• Proton
  • Cayman Islands (and big rig wandering)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:56 AM GMT »

Peter, it seems to me that the answer is a definite maybe at this point.  See below.

Provisions are also being considered to potentially enable suitably equipped non-SRA Ariel Atoms to compete in the series (non-points only).

If this comes to pass, then maybe you can blast away in your rocket and lead the pack, but not get official credit as the winer we already know you are!  Likewise, presumably I could poke along in last place, but not have to be listed as the loser everyone knows I am!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 08:18:55 AM GMT by Wmcmanus »
"Texas was flat and smelled of cow shit." -- bolus   Grand Cayman weather: http://www.brucesbythesea.com/wx.htm

Offline Curator

• Atom
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 03:04:37 PM GMT »
You guys will love VIR. As the late Paul L. Newman once exclaimed..  "VIR is Heaven on Earth!"

Found this tidbit on the TMI website...

"That's right!  The Ariel Atom V8 is coming!  Early 2011 will see the first of the limted production Ariel Atom V8s delivered to a North American client.  Stay tuned for more details."

I just had to post this..Hot Damn...!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:13:17 PM GMT by MadMaxAtom and company »

Offline CalScot

• Club Member
  • Atom
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 04:27:39 PM GMT »

Peter, it seems to me that the answer is a definite maybe at this point.  See below.

Provisions are also being considered to potentially enable suitably equipped non-SRA Ariel Atoms to compete in the series (non-points only).

If this comes to pass, then maybe you can blast away in your rocket and lead the pack, but not get official credit as the winer we already know you are!  Likewise, presumably I could poke along in last place, but not have to be listed as the loser everyone knows I am!
Your a winner in every respect Wayne.  :-*

VIR is just too far for me to take my Atom with the possible exception of the Atom event scheduled for next year. The only way it might work is th "Arrive & Drive" option where TMI own and support the Atom, and the driver just show's up and drives. Of course, the cost of this is usually mind boggling at first glance. A Star Mazda Arrive & Drive is about $18-20K...for a weekend! (A weekend is usually Friday practice and a qualify session and race Sat & Sun) A lowly F2000 ride like mine is $12-14K...per weekend! Hence my joke if I could get TMI to go for a $1000 race day. Running Skip Barber is much cheaper at about $4k for a weekend. If TMI offered an Atom for a reasonable weekend figure, it's a real possibility I could do a few races but I am commited to running the F2000 again in 2011 and that means I'm going to be busy and broke.

Offline CalScot

• Club Member
  • Atom
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 04:33:28 PM GMT »
An Arrive & Drive option would also mean the guys form the UK can come over and race as well. Make a holiday out of a trip over as well. Racing is probably even more expensive in the UK and a VIR racing trip could be a screaming deal for those really into it :)

Offline benyeats

• Global Moderator
  • Deeply Saddo
  • Cambridge - Equidistant between London and Norwich
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 05:11:05 PM GMT »
An Arrive & Drive option would also mean the guys form the UK can come over and race as well. Make a holiday out of a trip over as well. Racing is probably even more expensive in the UK and a VIR racing trip could be a screaming deal for those really into it :)

Interestingly enough a Canadian friend of mine (who it turns out Mark also knows) is interested in coming to race in the UK because it is cheaper, logically it suggests it is also cheaper here than in the US....
Atom 2 245 (Lemmie 2)

Offline dp35

• Proton
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:03 PM GMT »
This is great!  I'm looking forward to the specs of the spec racer Atoms.  I suspect they'll be NA 245hp with good brakes & suspension, but no cosmetic BS.

IMO arrive & drive will make the SRA racing a lot more successful.  I'd like to see that happen & allow it to expand to more tracks in the future. 
Atom 245 Honda, May, 2006

Offline CalScot

• Club Member
  • Atom
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:29 PM GMT »

Interestingly enough a Canadian friend of mine (who it turns out Mark also knows) is interested in coming to race in the UK because it is cheaper, logically it suggests it is also cheaper here than in the US....
I suppose "cheaper" could mean a lot of things. For a given budget, your going to get better exposure and competition in the UK/Europe than you are in North America. Therefore, you get a better bang for the buck if your set on making a living at it. I would guess it also depends on the class your trying to run.

An Atom is really pretty cheap to run on track. For the perfromance, it's a total bargain. It obviously cannot compete time wise with a dedicated race only car with downforce but with over 200HP and under 1350lbs, it's really up into serious racing performance figures.

Offline WorkingOnIt

• Proton
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 08:16:53 PM GMT »
A little off topic, but I'm not sure Bruce ever got an answer about bars in the area.

“VIRginia International Raceway is absolutely thrilled to host ... Of course, all drivers and their guests are welcome to stay over at VIR Resort's Lodge, have dinner at Oak Tree Tavern ... 

The Oak Tree Tavern description invites guests to "relax with a drink and appetizer in Connie's Pub. In warmer weather dining is available on the deck with a beautiful view of the rolling countryside." and ... "During most weekends, the Tavern will stay open until at least 11pm or later by demand."

so, there is at least one convenient bar.